The Datto RMM Agent is a lightweight software program installed on a device that supports agent installation. For more information, refer to Supported operating systems and Agent requirements.
The Agent gathers up-to-date information about the device's health and status and communicates it to the Web Portal. The Agent can be used to proactively monitor a device, deploy patches, push out policies, create alerts and tickets, execute scripts, run scheduled jobs, or enable a remote connection to the device. For information about how to connect to a remote device, refer to Agent Browser.
The Datto RMM Agent Process (AEMAgent.exe, introduced as part of the AEM 2017-1 release) is a child process of the main Datto RMM Agent Service (CagService) and is dedicated solely to performing endpoint monitoring tasks. Audit and other data submissions are performed by the main Datto RMM Agent Service.
Location of the Datto RMM Agent Process and the Datto RMM Agent Service by operating system:
|Operating System||Datto RMM Agent Service||Datto RMM Agent Process|
|Windows||• 32-bit version of Windows - %ProgramFiles%\CentraStage
• 64-bit version of Windows - %ProgramFiles(x86)%\CentraStage
For information on the location of the log files, refer to Agent log files.
For information about Agent update settings, refer to Agent updates.
- Ensure you have an Agent installed on your device. For information about Agent types, available operating systems and deployment options, refer to Deploy and install Agents on servers, desktops, and laptops.
- Locate the Datto RMM icon in the system tray or menu bar of your device. If the Agent is running, the icon should be displayed by default. Depending on the status of the Agent and whether you have applied custom branding, you may see different icons. For more information, refer to Managed and OnDemand Agents and Branding.
You can launch the icon by opening the Agent Monitor application on your device.
If you have an Agent installed but the icon is not displayed, the icon may be hidden through an Agent policy. For further information, refer to Hide the Datto RMM Agent icon.
- Depending on your operating system (macOS or Windows), click or right-click on the Datto RMM icon to be presented with the following options:
Some options may not be available on macOS devices.
|Take screenshot and request support||These options are only available when configured in an Agent policy that targets the device in question. The Autotask PSA Integration must be enabled to configure the options. Refer to Create an Agent policy.
Click to open and submit a support request form with or without a screenshot. For more information, refer to Agent ticketing for end users.
|Open||Opens the Agent Browser window. For further information, refer to Log into the Agent Browser.
The Agent Browser is only available for Managed Agents on Microsoft Windows devices. OnDemand Agents and operating systems other than Windows do not have an Agent Browser.
|Device description||Only available on Windows devices. Enter your device description. It will update the device description in the Web Portal as well. Refer to Device Summary.|
|Privacy Mode Options||Enables privacy mode to control any connection to be established to the device. For more information, refer to Privacy Mode.|
|Settings||Only available on Windows devices. It allows you to configure your Agent and Agent Browser settings. For more information, refer to Configure the Agent and Agent Browser.|
|Restart||Allows you to restart the Agent.|
|About...||Displays the Agent version and the name of your company. You can configure the latter in Setup → Branding. For further information, refer to Branding.|
|Exit / Quit||Exits the Agent and Agent Browser.|
You have the option to configure your Agent and Agent Browser settings on Windows devices.
- Right-click on the Datto RMM icon.
- Select Settings.
- A new window will open where you can configure the following:
|Network||You can apply proxy settings for your Agent. For more information, refer to Configure proxy settings in the Datto RMM Agent.|
|RDP||Allows you to configure your settings for an RDP remote takeover session. You can define:
• Display resolution and size
• Whether you want to share remote audio settings and local disk drives
• Whether you want to apply the remote desktop background and font smoothing
To learn how to start an RDP remote takeover session, refer to RDP.
|VNC||Allows you to change the default password used in a VNC remote takeover session.
If you opt to change this password, ensure that the same change is undertaken on all devices involved as this password is used to authenticate the end-to-end connection for VNC.
To learn how to start a VNC remote takeover session, refer to VNC.
|Preferences||You can set the following preferences:
• Show offline devices in search results. Refer to Connect to a device.
• Select the device for me after connecting. Refer to Agent Browser tools.
• Ask me to enter notes or activity when closing a device. Refer to Connect to a device.
• Always play a new chat message sound. Refer to Agent Browser tools.
• Auto re-connect to disconnected devices. Refer to Connect to a device.
|Advanced||Allows you to:
• Define the type of log file you want to save. For more information about the location of the log files, refer to Agent log files.
• Define where to store the cache. The Datto RMM service needs full access rights to this folder.
• Reset the Agent Browser size and position.
|Need to troubleshoot this? Open the Datto Knowledge Base.|
|Want to talk about it? Head on over to our Community Forum!|
|Forward this topic to others.|
|Provide feedback for the Documentation team.|