IMPORTANT The Mobile Device Management (MDM) feature is no longer available for new implementations. MDM-related documentation in the Datto RMM Help only applies to partners who are already using this feature. Please note that if the Mobile Device Management component is deleted from your Component Library, you will not be able to download it from the ComStore again. For further information regarding this change, please refer to this Community post.
NAVIGATION ComStore > Mobile Device Management Extension
The Datto RMM Mobile Device Management (MDM) service gives Datto RMM administrators the ability to roll out (enroll) and manage mobile devices from within the Datto RMM Web Portal.
Enrolling an Android device requires either the execution of the device enrollment file (enclosed with the enrollment email), or scanning of the necessary site’s QR code.
Before starting, make sure to download the Mobile Device Management component from the ComStore. Refer to Mobile device management.
NOTE In case you choose to enroll your Android device through the enrollment email, ensure that you have a native Android mail client installed on the device.
For information on supported Android versions, refer to Operating systems.
- Download and install the CentraStage app from Google Play.
- Launch the Datto RMM Web Portal.
- Open the site the device will be associated with.
- Click the site QR Code icon found in the top right corner of the Site Summary tab. The QR code will display.
- Open the CentraStage app on the mobile device.
- Select Activate.
- Click the cog icon.
- Click Open Scanner.
- Hover the camera over the QR code until the code is read successfully.
The device will be added to the site and audited automatically.
- Refer to the steps outlined in Downloading or emailing the Agent installer.
NOTE The Android icon is only visible if you have downloaded the Mobile Device Management Extension. Refer to Mobile device management.
- Add one or more email addresses you want to send the Agent installer to. For multiple addresses, separate the addresses with a semicolon.
- On the Android device, open the Centrastage Agent Download Instructions email using the Android mail client.
- Click the Google Play link in the email.
- Click Install.
- On the app permissions page, click Accept. Wait for the install to complete.
- Go back to the email and tap on the cs-config.mdm attachment (this may appear at the top or bottom of the email depending on your mail client).
- Complete the action using Device Enrollment.
- Confirm that you want to activate the Device Administrator, which will allow remote management of your device, up to and including erasing all data.
- Click Activate to launch the CentraStage MDM app.
IMPORTANT Do not open the app from Google Play.
An automatic audit will start and the device will appear in the Devices tab in the site.
- Delete the device from the site in the Web Portal. It will be placed into the Deleted Devices site. Unlike other device types, MDM devices cannot automatically uninstall the application. As such, you should delete the device from the Deleted Devices site by using Manage Deletions, selecting the device, and clicking Delete device(s). Refer to Deleting devices.
- On your Android device, tap Menu/All Apps > Settings and scroll down to Security.
- Tap Device administrators and deselect CentraStage MDM.
- Tap Deactivate and then back to Menu/All Apps to locate the app.
- Tap Remove App/Uninstall and then tap OK to confirm that you want to uninstall the app.