SECURITY Permission to access Setup > My Info
About two-factor authentication
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a security process in which a second level of authentication is added to the account login credentials. Both factors of authentication must be used and must be correct in order to establish the person's identity beyond doubt. The two factors may include:
- Something that the user possesses, such as a token, a card, a key, etc.
- Something that the user knows, such as an email address, password, PIN, etc.
- Something that is inseparable from the user, such as a fingerprint, iris, voice, etc.
In Datto RMM, 2FA requires login credentials (email and password) and a one-time password (OTP) issued by a 2FA token-generating application.
- A 2FA token-generating application such as Google Authenticator (Android & iOS) or Authy (Android & iOS) must be installed on your smartphone or tablet.
- A valid phone number set up that can receive SMS messages. Refer to Edit your user details.
NOTE Ensure that you use the correct +XX country code format.
For example, a UK phone number entered as +447407123456 uses the correct format and will receive codes. The same number entered as 00447407123456 uses an incorrect format and will not receive codes.
IMPORTANT We strongly recommend that you assign Administrator access to more than one user in the Datto RMM account. This is to ensure recovery, should there be an issue authenticating during the initial configuration or if the authenticating device encounters a problem or is lost.
- Navigate to Setup > My Info.
- Scroll down to the Security Settings section and click Datto Portal User Settings. The User Settings page in the Datto Partner Portal will open.
- Navigate to Two-Factor Authentication > Authentication App and click Setup.
- Choose the authenticator application you would like to use and click Next.
- Enter the code generated by your app (in this example, Google Authenticator), and click Submit.
- You will receive a message confirming that the authenticator was configured successfully. Click Close.
- To confirm 2FA has been set up correctly, log out of the Web Portal and log back in. Once you have entered your credentials, you will see a page asking for the 2FA token that your app will generate. Type in the token and click Authenticate.
NOTE When accessing the Agent Browser, you will also need to enter the 2FA token. Refer to Log into the Agent Browser.
- If you have more than one account associated with your email address, select the account you wish to access and click Continue.
- You are then directed to the Datto RMM Web Portal.