Best practices for Datto Backup Opportunity Audit
Before reading this topic, it is recommended that you first refer to ComStore and components.
Datto's mission is to empower the world’s small- to medium-sized businesses with the best in enterprise-level technology. To this end, Datto RMM provides unprecedented levels of access and control over devices. Alongside RMM, Datto is also well known as a provider of business continuity and backup and disaster recovery solutions. It is the goal of the Datto Backup Opportunity Audit component to link RMM together with this branch of Datto to provide you and your clients with best-of-breed device protection under the same roof.
Datto's backup solutions
You may want to consider using one of Datto's backup solutions if any of the following scenarios apply to you:
- Your endpoints are using various file sync tools to keep files shared and up to date with each other. Would this be better served by Datto Workplace?
- Different backup tools, perhaps even ones intended for home use, are being used ad hoc across your deployment. Would a central backup solution, such as Datto File Protection or Datto BCDR, be a better fit?
- Your endpoints have many (Office document) files. How many are critical? Could a system like Datto BCDR help ensure there is more than one source of the data?
- Your endpoints' Microsoft Outlook mailbox files are taking up a significant amount of hard disk space. Would it be wiser to use a cloud-based file sync/share solution like Datto Workplace to save space and ensure alignment?
- How much important data is stored in mailboxes? A backup solution will help ensure important data is kept safe.
Datto Backup Opportunity Audit component
The Datto Backup Opportunity Audit component performs the following actions on a Windows endpoint:
- Searches for installations of the following file sync/share suites:
- Accellion KiteWorks
- Axcient Anchor
- Box Drive
- Box Sync
- Citrix ShareFile
- Egnyte Desktop/Storage Sync
- Google Drive/File Stream
- Mozy Backup
- Searches for installations of the following backup agents:
- Acronis Backup
- Ahsay OBM/ACP
- Autotask Endpoint Backup
- Autotask Workplace
- Backup Exec
- Barracuda Backup Agent
- COMODO Backup
- CloudBerry Backup
- Datto Backup Agent
- Datto File Protection
- Datto Workplace
- EaseUS Backup
- Handy Backup
- Rackspace Cloud Backup
- Searches for and counts the following file types on each device:
- Office 1997-2003: DOC, XLS, PPT, PPS, CSV, PUB
- Office 2006-version 16: DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, PPSX, PPTM, SLDX, CSVX, ACCDB
- Media: JPG, MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, MPG, FLV, WMV, MP3, FLAC
- Other: TXT, ZIP, RAR, 7z, GZ, BAT, PDF, PS1
- Searches for Microsoft Outlook mailbox (.PST) files and measures their cumulative disk space impact.
Gathering the results
Scans are conducted per endpoint (generally as quick jobs), which potentially produces a lot of data for large deployments. The Output Summary Tool can help turn multiple result files into a single data digest. You can access the link in the StdOut of each Opportunity Audit run. To use the tool, follow these steps:
- Run the Datto Backup Opportunity Audit component on one or multiple devices, or access a record of it on the job view page. Refer to The job view.
- Once the job is completed on all devices, click the check box in the top left of the table to select all devices. Under Actions, select the option Download selected Standard Output/Error.
- Download the job results as a single .TXT file. You may need to reload the page before you are able to obtain the job results.
- Download the Output Summary Tool ZIP file to a Windows device to which you have physical access.
- If the device has not had its PowerShell execution policy set to Unrestricted, follow the directions in the powershell.png file enclosed within the ZIP archive.
- Execute the PS1 file within PowerShell and, when prompted, load the results TXT file you downloaded previously.
- The script will summarize the findings of the various scans and produce an RTF file for posterity.
The Datto RMM Product Management team is happy to hear suggestions for features to add to the component. Please submit any suggestions via the Comments or Requests? link in the ComStore. Refer to Provide feedback.