The Datto RMM Agent can be installed on a wide range of operating systems.
IMPORTANT The Datto RMM Agent can be installed and may function as expected on other operating systems that are not listed here, however, support is only provided for the operating systems outlined below.
IMPORTANT Home versions of Windows are not supported.
|Operating System / Device Type||Version||Notes|
|Windows||• Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit
• Windows 7 32/64-bit with KB2999226 and KB2533623 updates installed
• Windows 8/8.1 32/64-bit with KB2999226 update installed
• Windows 10 32/64-bit
• Windows Server 2008 & R2 32/64-bit (Standard editions) with KB2999226 and KB2533623 updates installed
• Windows Server 2012 64-bit & Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit with KB2999226 update installed
• Windows Server 2016 64-bit
• Windows Server 2019 64-bit
|• Windows Server 2008 (not R2) does not support installation of Microsoft .NET Core and cannot be used for SNMP monitoring.
• Windows Server 2016 64-bit: The Agent will work on Windows Server Core.
|macOS||• Latest two final versions|
|Linux||• Fedora: latest two 64-bit versions from version 28
• Debian: latest two 64-bit Long-Term Support (LTS) versions from version 8 with libicu-dev, libssl-dev, and libcurl3 packages
• CentOS: latest two 64-bit versions from version 7 with libicu package
• Ubuntu: current 64-bit Long-Term Support (LTS) versions from 16.04.6 with libicu-dev and libssl-dev packages. Refer to list of releases.
• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 64-bit and later versions using Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL)
|• The Datto RMM Agent requires that a full runtime version of an open source tool set called Mono is installed on each Linux device. Supported Mono versions: Mono 3 and later.
If Mono is already installed on the device, the installation script will not attempt to install it. However, if the already installed Mono version is not supported, the Agent will not work. Please also see further notes on the supported Linux versions further down. The Linux Agent is undergoing a gradual process of migration that, when completed, will remove the requirement for the Mono framework. When this change is complete it will be announced. The Mono framework will remain a requirement until further notice.
• The Datto RMM Agent requires an operating system that is compatible with Microsoft .NET Core. While some ARM distributions are supported for the 32-bit architecture, generally a 64-bit version of Linux is required. Refer to this compatibility list.
• Fedora and Debian require yum-utils to be manually installed prior to the Agent. When the Agent is being installed, the Linux installation script is able to recognize the supported Linux versions and install Mono from the official repository.
• Debian: The Agent may work with any Debian-based distribution but support is only provided for the ones listed.
• Red Hat Enterprise Linux: Mono can be installed from EPEL.
|• iOS 7 and later versions
• Android 2.3.3 and later versions
|Android 10 devices operate in an audit-only functionality.|
On December 1, 2019, Datto formally discontinued support for TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1 across its RMM service in order to increase connection security. This change renders devices running Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 unable to connect to the Datto RMM service.
IMPORTANT We recommend that all hardware running these operating systems is replaced.
By discontinuing support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1, devices running Windows XP and Server 2003 lose the ability to connect to the platform. Devices running these operating systems and any others based on Windows NT 5, such as Windows 2000 and Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs, are affected by this change.
Agents on these systems will remain in a "connecting" state but will no longer be able to establish any communication to the Datto RMM service.
After weighing up the benefits of continuing support for legacy Windows operating systems against protection from TLS 1.0 and 1.1 attacks, the decision was made to favor security.
TLS 1.0 and 1.1 suffer from numerous vulnerabilities which are actively exploited. Only by discontinuing support for these protocols is the Datto RMM service truly inoculated against such exploits.
Discontinuing support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 has a direct effect on connectivity for older Microsoft operating systems because these operating systems lack any in-built support for TLS 1.2+. The .NET Framework, on which the Datto RMM software is built, supports TLS 1.2+ from version 4.5, but the latest version supported by these operating systems is 4.0.3.
This stalemate had effectively forced Datto RMM to keep in rotation a few dedicated Amazon S3 servers capable of communicating via this protocol in the name of maintaining support.
NOTE Note that only devices not able to support any other encryption method would ever use TLS 1.0 or 1.1.
As of December 1, 2019, official support for these protocols has ended. The Amazon S3 servers supporting this protocol will be sunset.
Migration to newer systems
We appreciate that many users still maintain legacy XP/Server 2003 systems for the sake of compatibility or to run bespoke software, however, we can no longer support these use cases.
IMPORTANT It is strongly recommended that all users running legacy systems upgrade them in order to continue compatibility with Datto RMM.
If you have any questions about the changeover, please feel free to get in touch with our Support staff by filing a Support Ticket in your Partner Portal.
Also, please review this article in the Community for discussion and to provide feedback.
The Datto RMM service has a minimum requirement of Microsoft .NET Full Framework version 4.0.3.
NOTE .NET 4.0.3 or higher Client Profile version is not supported.
NOTE Windows version 6.2 (Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012) and above meet installation requirements by default.
The Datto RMM Agent installer performs prerequisite checks when executing on Windows version 6.1 (Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2) or below. Required software found to be missing will be downloaded and silently installed in the background.
- Windows Imaging Component (Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 only)
- .NET Framework 4.0 (prerequisite for .NET Framework 4.0.3)
- .NET Framework 4.0.3
Downloaded files are located in the Datto RMM Agent installer's current directory. To avoid repeated downloads, the installer will check for the existence of files in this location before downloading.
NOTE If a detected .NET Framework version is higher than 4.0.3, then no further checks will be performed and the Datto RMM Agent installation will begin.
IMPORTANT If the download and installation of prerequisite software is required, it will take a considerable amount of time depending on internet bandwidth and device specification. It's normal to wait an hour in these cases for an installation to complete. Due to the silent nature of the Datto RMM Agent installer, no visual feedback will be present during this time.
IMPORTANT Existing Datto RMM Agents that do not meet the .NET Framework 4.0.3 minimum requirement will not automatically update. The 2017-1 .NET Minimum Requirement Utility [WIN] ComStore Component is designed for such scenarios. Devices still running version 2 of the .NET Framework after the 2017-1 release will retain a degree of functionality, but support for such devices will not be provided.
For further information on .NET Framework versions, refer to .NET Framework Versions and Dependencies.
- The Network Node device performing ESXi monitoring must run on Windows operating system and have Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7 or higher.
- The Network Node device performing ESXi monitoring can run on a guest machine on the ESXi host. Please note that the downside of monitoring from a guest is that all monitoring stops when the host goes down.
- ESXi monitoring is supported across subnets, so the Network Node device does not have to be on the same subnet as the ESXi device but it must be on the same network to be reachable.
IMPORTANT The Network Node device performing SNMP monitoring must be compatible with the Microsoft .NET Core 3.1 runtime.
NOTE The Agent is not compatible with the Microsoft .NET Core 3.1 runtime standalone installation. The Agent will download and use a packaged version when prerequisites are met.
SNMP monitors configured on Network Nodes that do not support .NET Core 3.1 will automatically raise an alert in order to bring the issue to attention. The alert raised is worded as follows:
SNMP monitor is only supported by Agents with a compatible .NET runtime. For more details see dat.to/rmmagentreq.
If a subsequent two-hourly .NET Core 3.1 prerequisite check is successful, the alert will be resolved.
NOTE Network Node devices that do not use SNMP monitoring do not have to meet the .NET Core 3.1 runtime requirement.
.NET Core 3.1 is natively supported by all modern Windows operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
The following legacy Windows operating systems are supported with Windows Updates KB2999226 and KB2533623 installed:
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
The following legacy Windows operating systems are supported with Windows Update KB2999226 installed:
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2012 R2
NOTE Windows Update KB2999226 is packaged with Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 or above. This includes Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable.
NOTE Agents will check for .NET Core 3.1 compatibility at startup and subsequently every 2 hours. If the check is successful, a new binary will be downloaded and the AEMAgent process will restart.
macOS and Linux
.NET Core 3.1 also runs on macOS and Linux. The Datto RMM Agent running on these operating systems already uses .NET Core 3.1 to function.
The Datto RMM Agent communicates with the platform using the IPv4 protocol.
NOTE IPv6 connections are not supported at this time.
The Datto RMM Web Portal is tested against the latest two versions of the following web browsers:
- Internet Explorer (Refer to end of support for older versions of IE.)
- Google Chrome (Refer to Update Google Chrome.)
Google Chrome uses the Chromium engine. While we only test Chromium functionality using Google Chrome, other browsers using the same engine should behave similarly. Such browsers include:
- Microsoft Edge
NOTE While the Datto RMM features may work in older versions, support is provided for the latest two versions of the web browsers listed above.
NOTE To ensure you are protected by the latest security updates, we recommend that you update your web browser when a new version becomes available.
IMPORTANT When working in the Web Portal, it is best practice to edit your data or perform any changes in the same browser tab. Having multiple browsers and/or browser tabs open and editing the same data in more than one browser or browser tab may cause bad data.